Monday, January 19, 2015

Thanks, Chris Gilbert

The photo of me on the home page was taken by my friend, Chris Gilbert.  It twas a dark and dreary day on the Olympic Peninsula.  We needed a flash even in a room with almost floor to ceiling windows.  I said to heck with it.  Let's take this outside.

Chris took a shot of me in the rain in front of a rhododendron.  It was a go.  Enough already with the camera.

Chris has a terrific voice, and an English accent that makes him perfect for singing Ewan MacColl songs (think "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," "My Old Man" and "Dirty Old Town.").

We've had a lot of fun playing together in a pub band called "Happenstance."  I bring the guitar and harmonies.  Chris fronts the band and does it superbly.

Right now we're in hibernation.  Our bass players flees the gray Puget Sound winters for Central California sun.  And Chris' brother, our uke man, is back in England.

Did I mention Chris is from England?  That accent isn't acquired.

When the weather warms and sky clears, hopefully we'll be at Port Townsend's Uptown Pub, Tin Brick, Sirens Pub, and the Courtyard Cafe offering up songs by the Chieftains, the Furies, and Dubliners.

Now, if we can work up an hour of maritime music, maybe we'll make it to a stage at the Port Townsend Woodend Boat Festival.  That would be something. 

No comments: